Thursday, March 09, 2006

Tips For USMLE Step 2

First of all I would like to tell you all that I found this exam easier than the first one. This exam is more clinical than Step 1.
As I mentioned in Step 1 also, use logic more than common sense while answering the questions .
This exam is not very difficult and does not involve memorizing things. The examiner tries to change the language of the question in such a way that the test taker gets confused. But, If you know the conceps well and also what he is trying to ask, you can easily get it right. The question stem is very long and time is less, but don't panic, concentrate on the relevant things. They might give you a lot of irrelevant information about that particular case e.g. Lab Values, X-rays, EKG's etc. Don't get scared, these are given probably to make the question complicated. They are just testing your basic clinical knowledge. So, try to think what diagnosis you can make out of that given findings. Read the whole question carefully, especially the last line and the key words like What, How etc. While reading the question, you will think "O' I know the answer" but sometimes its not the right answer. Read what the examiner is asking.Try to look for "Best Possible" answer rather than "The Right Answer". Try to think the case as a real one even if it doesn't sound real. Use logic and then answer. Also, there will be some buzz words in inverted comas("), dont get distracted by them. Sometimes they are not important at all.
I read Kaplan notes for theory and practiced Usmleworld questions. I think they really helped me to approach the questions. I also read Crush Step 2 in the end to review the whole syllabus. I also referred to CMDT for my queries. I scored very well in Step 2 (234/95). I think the most important thing on this exam is to use logic and practice a lot of questions. Also NBME exam 3 weeks before the real exam helps to assess yourself about your preparation.

Websites:
a) For Usmle world-- www.usmleworld.com. You will have to buy these questions.
b) For NBME---www.nbme.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home